If you’re in the business of providing outdoor recreation, whether it’s a campground, paintball operation, archery range, rod and gun club, or outfitter and guide, selecting the right insurance partner is critical to protecting your property and business.
Even if you and your members or customers have years of experience, accidents still happen – and they can occur suddenly. A combination of liability, property, crime, and inland marine insurance is needed to ensure you are covered in just about any situation.
Depending on your business, you may be renting equipment or selling supplies, you may have a clubhouse or a commercial kitchen, or you may host social events or fundraisers. Your specific operation’s needs may require specialized insurance; however, the following coverages are an excellent place to start.
- General liability covers your legal liability regarding bodily injury and property damage.
- Property insurance will cover damage to your business property.
- Product liability provides protection if someone is injured or becomes ill as a result of using your equipment and supplies.
- Premises liability provides essential protection if legal issues arise due to injuries on your business premises.
- A business umbrella policy provides excess liability protection to help you manage legal costs due to a catastrophic injury or fatality resulting in a lawsuit.
- Business interruption coverage provides compensation if you must cease operations due to a covered incident. For example, if your facility is destroyed by fire, this coverage will help you continue paying bills during repairs.
- Depending upon how many employees you have and your state’s requirements, you may be required to carry workers’ compensation insurance.
- Special event insurance provides protection against bodily injury and property damage claims.
In addition to proper insurance, your insurance advisor should have insights into your specific industry. This knowledge means access to loss prevention programs and insurance carriers that specialize in insuring the outdoor recreation industry.